Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Bar/Bat Mitzvah

A ceremony which celebrates a persons coming-of-age in the Jewish community. Translated, the names mean 'one to whom the commandments apply', with the 'one' being male (Bar) or female (Bat). The ceremony also demonstrates the child taking responsibility within the religious community, as prior to this, their parents would've handled their religious education.

Exactly what happens at the ceremony varies based upon the community or denomination of Judaism within which it is held. An aspect that is found in all sects is a reading of part of the Torah, and perhaps a leading of a discussion of the reading.

Traditionally a public ceremony, it is celebrated at the age of thirteen for boys and twelve for girls. In modern times, however, it is more often celebrated at the age of thirteen regardless. Also, under Jewish law, a boy becomes culpable upon turing thirteen and a girl at twelve, whether or not they underwent the ceremony. In the Sephardic sect of Judaism, boys wait until they are fourteen before performing the ceremony. The reasons for this are unknown.


By Alex Jeffrey

Facts from: http://www.encyclopaediajudaica.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A Jewish friend has invited me to his son's Bar Mitzvah in Israel. Upon reading this blog post, I've learned a lot about Jewish customs and how Bar Mitzvah ceremony is celebrated. I'm excited and I certainly look forward on learning more about this tradition and how my Jewish friends celebrate this event.

I'm getting myself prepared by reading more about Israel and the Jewish culture. I'm certain that I'll also learn a lot from the Israel Bar Mitzvah tours.